Headaches are a common phenomenon. They can have a negative impact on the quality of everyday life and may become chronic.
There are many different types of headaches. The most common primary types include:
- Tension headache
- Cluster headache
Apart from these, there are many secondary types of headache that are the consequence of another ailment:
- Medicament-induced headache
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Occipital neuralgia
In the Schmerzklinik Basel's headache centre, we start by taking a differential approach to identifying the cause of your headaches. The therapy we then adopt is determined by the cause and type of headache (episodic or chronic) and your individual needs.
Examples of therapies:
- Medicament-based acute and basic therapies
- Botox therapy for migraine, bruxism or tension headache
- Relaxation techniques (progressive muscle relaxation as developed by Jacobson)
- Physiotherapy (trigger point therapy, craniosacral therapy)
- Behavioural therapy in groups or individually
The various forms of therapy may be used alone or in combination. In view of the many specializations offered by the Schmerzklinik Basel, all-inclusive interdisciplinary treatment is possible in-house.
Apart from this, there is also the possibility of inpatient treatment for your headaches on one of our wards. This might apply, for example, to medicament withdrawal in cases of medicament-induced headaches or very complex headache disorders where outpatient treatment would be unsatisfactory.